Monday, January 14, 2013

A Day for the Making

Today was definitely a day for making. It seems that leaving the sewing machine out on the kitchen table overnight begs little girls (and bigs one too for that matter) to wake up and make something. So with a little help from my cheering section and a lot reaching around a helper literally on my knee, we created this.

Munchkin wanted to use the machine. We had made this purse for her yesterday
 
(based off a pattern I saw in this book from Cosmo we got at the library) and she proved herself able to follow directions as a very helpful backstitch-button pusher and pin-put-away-er. She wanted another go. Instead of just making lines on scrap fabric we dug around in the fabric chest and found a project I had started years ago. It was all pinned and waiting. We accepted the challenge to finish the project!

It's slightly changeable, depending where I want the ties to land, which is nice. And all made of repurposed fabric. The green in a poorly fitted bedsheet, the purple left over from the aisle runner for my sister's wedding, and the print just kinda showed up in the fabric box one day. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. (that bottle cap table in the background is waiting for a warm, dry day before I can tell its complete story.)

After a brief snack (of homemade guacamole, of course) and some inspiration from The Barefoot Kitchen Witch, we commenced Family Ravioli night. (I'm still saving my pennies for a pasta press. Any recommendations?)
It's been a while since I was required to knead anything for 10 minutes. My shoulders ached a little and I was glad that everything needs an hour rest between steps. Following the recipe in the link above and applying some of her suggestions to mushrooms, Emagene and I found ourselves here:
 
Since this happened on a whim, I was sans any sort of white cheese for this project. I do believe it would have been heaps better with shaved Parmesan or fresh mozzarella. However, we only had a minor tea spill and some. flour on the nose so i consider this a win for us in the kitchen!


Yesterday, we made this soup, which E lovingly calls "peanut butter poop." Someday her toddler speech will correct itself and I'll be sad when the cuteness goes with it! Unfortunately, I didn't know I would be posting a creative blog today so I didn't take any pictures. We had to substitute spaghetti noodles since that's all we had in the house and we added a handful of halved grape tomatoes with the cilantro and scallions. It's definitely a recipe I'll try again!! It's from The Complete Book of 400 Soups by Anne Sheasby. We have the 2008 edition.


So there ya go. Hope enjoy this ramble about my busy couple of days. I probably should spend tomorrow cleaning the house since I've done nothing except sweep up flour and thread this week. Thankfully, my husband is a rock star and vacuumed while I wrote this!

Here are a few more photos of our Day (well Days) of Making.



No comments:

Post a Comment