Wednesday, January 30, 2013

i've been busy...and sick

It's been a little crazy around here. Are you surprised? Probably not. I recently got a part-time job at a local grocer, went to Tulsa twice, organized a baby-sitting swap, tried to work some healing magic on a chicken, and keep my house work under control. Needless to say, none of it went completely smooth and I ended upon the sofa, sick with exhaustion at least twice in the last month. The flu has been going around both work places so I wouldn't surprised if my run-down self was a little more susceptible than usual. I'm glad I didn't get the full-blown yuckies. An afternoon of children's videos - namely Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Clifford the Big Red Dog - and playing treehouse on the sofa, an extra day off to get fully restored and I am back at chasing neighborhood cats off my chickens, cleaning up the poop of 7 small beings, and carefully choosing which room of the house receives attention on my days off. I don't plan on returning to Tulsa for a few months (hence the need for an in-town part timer) so hopefully the normalcy of grown-up life will return and bring peace of body with it.

Not all my sofa time was wrapped in misery. E and I started talking about what she wants to do for her birthday. She's been to a few parties now and I believe we have moved into the realm of having to celebrate with style. Just having a playdate at the park with cupcakes, probably won't cut it any more. There must be balloons, possibly a pinata, a cake, presents and friends. I asked her if she wanted chocolate or white cake and she said "Pink. Like Minnie." So we googled images of Minnie Mouse themed cakes. I did not allow myself to become overwhelmed with impossible expectations. When I googled Toy Story Jessie cakes (if her birthday had been last summer, this would've been the theme) I did get a feeling of gratitude that we were going with a Minnie idea. (Try it and you'll see what I'm talking about. I used the search key 'Minnie Cake Images.') And in typical Sara Fashion, I wrote a list of all things needed for a fabulous, no budget party and then immediately began downsizing to where we would actually have the party, what can we make, what can we get second hand, what do we actually need to have, etc. I have arrived at: cupcake papers, junior mints (for Minnie's ears), food coloring, white circle sprinkles, some kind of edible bow cake decoration, a couple of plastic Disney action figures, a handful of helium ballons (at least one resembling or picturing Minnie), savory snacks to balance out the sugar and keep the kids from killing each other, homemade invitations, goodie bags and possibly a homemade pinata. Do people do invitations any more?  Also, did you know that if you send an invitation to your gathering to Minnie at Disneyland or Disneyworld, she'll send you a signed postcard? No really. Check it out here. So doing that for a 3-year old who loves to get the mail!

No comments:

Post a Comment