Tuesday, September 11, 2012

hope for the garden

I have mixed emotions when it comes to my garden. It has a chance of survival against the grasshoppers because of the chickens. However, it doesn't have a chance to thrive when paired against the chickens' talons, love for scratching, and curiosity for bugs under the topsoil.

*Sigh*

After losing most of our spring garden to chicken raids and pill bugs, we tried this idea: add a chicken wire cage to the top of the existing fence. (More about the fence in this post) We have also treated with a homemade Neem solution and a healthy dusting of Diatomaceous Earth.
The basil is very safe from crawling, chewy bugs thanks to a little girl with a re-purposed garlic powder shaker and a desire to give the plant 'vitamins' until it said it was good.  

   As I was out prepping the soil for root planting when my garden buddy, Ferdy, after being shooed out the gate a few times, tried to hop upon the fence to watch me. She was immediately rejected by the wire! The garden might have a chance for a fall bounty!!

With this bit of hope in my heart I planted a small amount of root crops, mostly to act as a learning crop since I've never grown turnips or radishes before. Following the lunar planting guide in the Farmers Almanac online (here), I've got a plan for getting something out of this plot of dirt before winter. We've got a handful of plants started indoors and ready for hardening. Hoping to get them successfully in the ground next week.



What are you growing right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment